STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — The origin of a blaze in Bricktown Commons that billowed a thick black cloud of smoke over the South Shore Monday afternoon was flammable construction materials, said the developer for the project.
City Fire Department (FDNY) marshals determined that a propane tank fell, began leaking nearby a heater that ignited the leaking gases and caused the fire, said a FDNY spokeswoman.
Despite the fire, the movie theater is still scheduled to open this summer, said Jonathan Cohen, a principal in the Long Island-based Blumenfeld Development Group, which is developing the site with Guido Passarelli & Son, a Dongan Hills-based business.
The fire, which reportedly started outside 165 Bricktown Way — the construction site of a 90,000-square-foot, 10-auditorium movie theater — was reported to emergency personnel at about 1:30 p.m. on Monday.
There were no workers injured, and the fire didn’t cause damage to the nearly 1,000-seat movie theater that is under construction, said Cohen.
While initial reports said the fire started inside the movie theater, Cohen said the blaze was contained outdoors.
“The fire was outside the building, not in the building,” said Cohen. “Flammable construction material that was recently delivered to the site caught on fire. …The only damage suffered was loss of construction material.”
FDNY responds to commercial fire at Bricktown Commons
Gallery: FDNY responds to commercial fire at Bricktown Commons
Regal Entertainment signed a lease earlier this year to open a 90,000-square-foot movie theater in Charleston’s Bricktown Commons. Currently being constructed is the theater building, which is the fourth structure at Bricktown Commons. Underneath the theater is 40,000-square-feet of retail space that is available for lease, said Cohen.
FOLLOW TRACEY PORPORA ON FACEBOOK